Monday, August 13, 2012

Chicago Traffic Reports


Listening to a traffic report in Chicago is like hearing a MCSE professional talk about firewalls and proxy servers. You know that somehow what we say is important and you should know what it is, but he or she could also speak in binary code. After being in Chicago you learn a bit 'of the terms you need to know, but if you are visiting or just moved to Chicago, it seems you'll never understand! Traffic reports use names, but the maps and signs use numbers.

In short, here is what these names refer, so the next time you hear "20 minutes outbound from the split of O'Hare," will know it is a good thing!

Outbound: Depart downtown

Inbound: Heading downtown

Kennedy: I-90 and I-94 along the north of the Loop (approx.I-290). I-90 continues to be the Kennedy after the split to O'Hare

The Split / The Junction: When I-90 and I-94 to break from each other north of the Loop. I-90 heads to O'Hare and I-94 heads northeast.

Edens Expressway: I-94 north of Lake Cook Road Split

Lake Cook Road: East-West road that marks the boundaries of Lake and Cook counties on the north side

Northwest Tollway: I-90 north of O'Hare to Wisconsin

Dan Ryan Expressway: I-90 and I-94 along the south of the Loop

Skyway: Connects Dan Ryan Indiana Toll Road

95 Street at the southern end of the Dan Ryan Expressway, marks beginning of Bishop Ford

Bishop Ford Freeway: I-94 to 95 (Dan Ryan) to I-80/Indiana

Eisenhower: I-290, which extends from the center to the western suburbs

North-South: I-355 from Itasca to I-55

Stevenson Expressway: I-55 from Lake Shore Drive to the Tri-State

Tri-State Tollway: I-294 connects with I-94 north and south ends of town, forming a half circle and connecting with all major interstate

Ronald Reagan Memorial Tollway: I-88 west from Tri-State

The Loop: area in the center which is surrounded by "L" tracks. Lake Street to the north, on the Wabash, East Van Buren and Wells Street on the South West.

Post Office: Sometimes used instead of The Loop. Now vacant building that runs through the Eisenhower as it turns into Congress Parkway.

Circle / Spaghetti Bowl: If the Dan Ryan, Kennedy and Eisenhower meet

Hillside Strangler: Named after a nearby suburb. If the East-West Tollway, the Tri-State and the Eisenhower meet

Mannheim: Just east of the Hillside Strangler and near the western end of the Eisenhower ......

No comments:

Post a Comment